Mario and Martino Prada created the Prada brand in 1913 as a leather goods shop in Milan, Italy. These goods were well known for their exotic materials, with some goods being made of alligator and walrus. This fine quality attracted the attention of the Italian royal household and gained fame among Europe’s elite class. Mario’s granddaughter Miuccia took over the family business in 1977 after her mother.
Prada soon formed a joint venture known as EID with De Rigo Group to produce eyewear in 1999. That venture ends a few years later, as Prada gets a 10-year licensing agreement with Luxottica, the world’s largest eyewear company.